Just somewhere for me to occasionally write

Journal entries, short stories, rants, pictures, nonsense. See below.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Passion

Everyone has some passion for something or someone, right?

I consider being passionate about something spending a large amount of time doing or thinking about said activity.

I am passionate about a few things, and I feel like I don't spend as much of my time as I would like pursuing some of these. Obviously my main passion in life is getting into Vet School/becoming a vet. However, I am also really passionate about a few other things, like dancing. I absolutely love to dance, and I didn't really realize how much until I got into college. It makes me think what would have happened if I had realized how much I like it much earlier. Would I have taken dance classes my whole life? Would that passion have superseded my passion for animals?

A little insight/thought derailment; when I was very young, my mother worked at the airport and sometimes I had to go to work with her. I would be extremely bored sometimes and I would have to find my own source of entertainment. So, I found the wheelchairs and rode them around the airport (I know, how un-PC of me). On one of my wheelchair escapades I came across a CD that someone had dropped on the floor and left unclaimed; so of course I took it.

This CD had some hiphop and R&B on it and I fell in love. I have always loved this genre of music since that fateful day and I feel like it really changed me. Strange to think someone had made this CD and dropped it accidentally and then something so small changed my life... I think this also made me really like dance later in life (yea, that's how all that tied together...).

Moving on, another thing I am passionate about is helping people(and animals). Did you know that Burkina Faso has the lowest literacy rate in the world? 14.4 % of the population is literate. 14.4%! This makes it so that much of the people, mostly women, can't find a job because they cannot read or write. Then the next generation comes and their parents don't know, so they don't know. And the circle continues and they remain in extreme poverty (3rd poorest in the world). Can you imagine helping out even 5 people, 5 kids, 5 poor, destitute, hungry, illiterate single mothers or fathers and teaching them to read or write, enabling them to break away from their past, their parents before them, the terrible circumstances in which they were born into?

It would cost me roughly $4000 to volunteer here for 2 months. But good God, what a difference only one person could make. It nearly brings me to such a state of ... I can't even think of the word. It's like a feeling in your chest that makes you want so bad, but it's a good feeling. A great feeling. I can't even express it.

So, somehow I need to raise $4000 from the time I get home from Sweden, to like late May. So like, 6 months. Anyone wanna help me out here? That's like $667 a month I need to come up with... O_o oh, the cost of passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment